The neighbours alerted the police after a foul smell emanated from the flat this morning. When the door was broken open, the police found the student's body in a highly decomposed state.
Alwal Inspector of Police K Srinivas Rao told PTI that the student might have died four to five days ago and suspected that he might have committed suicide after consuming some poisonous substance.
"Shakil who hailed from Tanzania was staying alone in the flat for the past 2 years and was also pursuing some part-time courses. The door was bolted from inside and the reason behind the incident was still not known. No suicide note was found from the flat," the police official said.
The body has been sent for an autopsy. Further investigations were underway.